martes, 2 de marzo de 2010

My Maya New Year


It’s incredible to be a part of something so beautiful. What some of you may have perused, and some fewer might have understood was the post directly below. I felt it important that Felipe, considering this a joint-blog, have his own voice unfiltered by a faulty translation. Just over a week ago, we rang in Maya New Year in a ceremony called Wayeb. The passion exemplified by the spiritual guides captivates me. Clearly, as was the case when I was in middle and high school, certain students are more intrigued or active participants than others. But, in a direct difference to my schooling experience, those students who are not as mesmerized by the whole experience are indistinguishable from those who are. There is a level of respect for the spirituality. I could have used their example when I was less intrigued, or better said, was struck with boredom during my more formative years.

There was a family from the States passing through the project that day and decided to make the hike up to the alter. After a fifteen-minute walk straight up by stairs and muddy path, we found Wajxaqib’ Kan, Ocho Serpientes, or Eight Snakes, the highest, and most communitarian of the six altars at Ak’Tenamit. The mother of this family pulled me aside to ask whether it was ok to bear witness to this consecrated event. This sentiment is one I understand all too well. It was a consistent question that I asked myself last year as a new member of the community. As outsiders, we are so privileged. But the students as well are fortunate to have a place that allows them to honor their culture; their ancestors. Already knowing the answer, I pulled aside a spiritual guide to ease the mother’s concerns. The guide smiled and, to no surprise of mine, invited the family to watch, and even participate in the ceremony, receive blessings, and give offerings. No two people have the same feelings about spirituality. But at Ak’Tenamit, it seems one area of common ground is that when people express interest or intrigue, they are welcomed with open arms and minds.

By the time the family took their place, I had already partaken. Manuel, a good friend of mine had given me my blessing. Having been here for nearly two years, I am no stranger to Maya ceremonies. But watching the somber and humbled faces of this mother and her children was a compelling reminder of how blessed I am.

So a new year has begun. For me this feels like the most important one to date. I have been empowered to help create another place in the mold of one in which I believe so passionately. I don’t know how many young people in Alta Verapaz or El Petén were able to celebrate Wayeb. In fact, it is hard to know how many know what Wayeb is, or why it is celebrated in the first place. But with this great task ahead, we move forward. We continue to build alliances. We continue to look for funds, on scales both big and small. We continue to plan. We continue to believe.

Please remember, a donation to Ak’Tenamit – Cancuén can help us realize our vision of a new education center:
Tax-deductible donations can be made online (https://qnm14.securesites.net/akt/donate/index.php) through our U.S. Non-Profit Organization, the Guatemala Tomorrow Fund. Please indicate your donation is meant for Cancuén Project.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario